Friday, September 26, 2008

New Movie Alert: Religulous

On this blog, I've done some posting (and had some great conversations) about made-up words, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to post about a new movie coming out in November from Borat director Larry Charles, the title of which blends the two words "religious" and "ridiculous" - Religulous. In it, "Bill Mahr takes on the current state of world religion."

Woo, Nelly.
Well, at least Michael Moore can thank Mahr for drawing some of the slings and arrows of the negative and vocal conservative crowd away from him for a change.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with scrutinizing the precepts and practices of religion (because I don't see the problem with scrutinizing anything; nothing's beyond rational inquiry in my book). I know quite a few people who will mind though - especially given the kind of scrutinizing this movie is advertising it does. You know, . . . the [*gasp*] humorous kind. These are the same people who can't stand Michael Moore and Jon Stewart and are completely confused by Steven Colbert. (Apparently sin lurks behind every double entendre and corny pun and the devil himself feeds on satire.)

I'm not saying the movie is good. For crying out loud (You like that? I didn't even blaspheme.), I haven't even seen it yet, and I'm not even especially fond of Mahr. I'm just saying, we've lived through the release of The Last Temptation of Christ and The Passion of the Christ. Surely we can do without the boycotting this time, right? Let's let this thing have it's 15 minutes and get on with life. See it if you wish. Skip it if you wish. Let's just try not to get our knickers all in sailors' knots over it, okay?

No comments: