Monday, March 23, 2009

Meatless Monday: Curried Couscous with Broccoli and Feta

Early this month I posted about quinoa, saying it's a good substitute for couscous. That got me to thinking - I substitute quinoa for couscous so often, it's been a while since I've actually had some couscous! So, Matt dug up and cooked this yummy couscous recipe for me.

Curried Couscous with Broccoli and Feta
Recipe

I'm not a huge fan of raisins in food. Don't get me wrong, I really like raisins, . . . just not in things (e.g., salads, bagels, cookies, etc.). But Matt wanted me to try at least one bite with a raisin in it, because the recipe called for it and, therefore, there must be some flavor balance they were going for that he didn't want me to miss out on (gee, thanks) . . . so he hid one raisin in the middle of my bowl. (Sneaky Pete.) The verdict? I neither liked it nor disliked it. I think it was because there were so many other strong flavors (e.g., onion, ginger, curry), varied textures (from the nuts, couscous, feta, broccoli), and a fair amount of sweetness already present (from the tablespoon of sugar) that I didn't taste anything different in that bite at all.

Instead of fresh ginger, Matt used powdered ginger. You might try that too if you can't find ginger that looks good in your grocery store's produce section, but it's usually easy enough to find fresh. And, if you're looking for a particularly good curry, you might give Penzeys' sweet curry a try. We've gotten quite a few spices from Penzeys and have never been disappointed.



Got any favorite vegetarian or vegan recipes?? Please share!

Other Meatless Monday posts

1 comment:

Joey said...

Hi Cheri-

I just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that this week there is a special Featured Friends section on the Meatless Monday homepage. We just wanted to thank you, and a few other bloggers, for your consistent Meatless Monday posts. I, personally, really enjoy your posts.

In honor of Earth month, Meatless Monday will be covering some more environmentally conscious issues in coming weeks. We should be releasing new kinds of content for the site. I’ll be in touch as those new features get closer to going live on the site. Is there an email address it would be more convenient to reach you at?

Thanks again for your support of the Meatless Monday movement!

-Joey Lee
Executive Assistant
The Monday Campaigns