Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rebuilding Together

Rebuilding Together is a national nonprofit whose mission is to preserve affordable housing by bringing volunteers and communities together to rehabilitate the homes of low-income homeowners. I have a big soft spot in my heart for this organization because Matt and I became involved with them very early on in our relationship, back when we were living in Pasadena. It meant a lot to me to be able to help out the family whose house we were working on, but it also provided a window into Matt’s character, giving me one of the first clues that he was “a keeper.”

The Ventura affiliate of RT will be working on a project in Simi Valley on Saturday, May 3rd. Matt and I will have his sister visiting from out of town that weekend, so it’s not likely I’ll be able to participate in that project as I’d hoped, but I thought I’d pass on the information in case anyone else local would be interested in getting involved. The person to contact for details is:

509 Daily Drive
Camarillo, CA 93010
Office: 805.492.1054
Fax: 805.230.2825
fprince@roadrunner.com

ALSO, if you don’t live in the Ventura County, California area but are still interested in doing something like this, check out RT’s website to search for an affiliate chapter in your area (they have over 200 affiliate offices nationwide).

Each RT branch works in conjunction with local sponsors to gain funding for supplies, but they have also established some high-profile national partnerships as well. For instance, they recently joined up with HGTV to work on their “Change the World” campaign, which you can read more about at HGTV’s website.

No comments: