Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I Love Words: Soupçon

Word: soupçon

Pronunciation:
\süp-ˈsōⁿ, ˈsüp-ˌsän\

Function:
noun

Etymology:
French, literally, suspicion, from Old French sospeçon, from Latin suspection-, suspectio, from Latin suspicere to suspect

Date:
1766

Definition:
a little bit : trace

You sometimes hear this word uttered by food or wine critics as they dissect and analyze a dish or bottle, trying to identify every last flavor or aroma. It's a fun little word, but I find it is seldom used in common parlance amongst the likes of my peers unless someone is looking for a laugh by pretending to put on airs. I guess you could say it's not a word you ever hear coming out of the mouth of your average Joe Six-Pack. If that means using it makes me less like Palin, I believe I might have to start making it a part of my everyday vernacular.


Other Parlancer "I Love Words" Posts

No comments: