Monday, February 9, 2009

Meatless Monday: Tofu Steaks with Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce

I know, I know, steak makes you think of beef, and the typical dictionary definition of steak does involve meat. For this recipe, you'll just have to think of 'steak' as just a kind of cut of food.

I had never been a big fan of tofu. My husband really likes it though, so we've been having it pretty regularly the past couple of years and it's really grown on me. Like a fungus. Hahaha. . . . No no no. (Although I do like me some fungus.) Actually, what I discovered was that my aversion had to do with the texture. You tend to find tofu in soft, firm, and extra firm. The soft I'm not too crazy about. The extra firm, though, I quite like. And tofu is just so versatile. We've had it in various types of dishes, including some great stir-fry recipes, but it was this recipe that I wanted to share because we had it just recently and it was soo good.

Tofu Steaks with Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce
Recipe

This picture here doesn't do the end product justice. The red pepper sauce really makes this a pretty (and flavorful) dish. One alteration I would recommend though would be going a little easier on the garlic than they suggest (and this from a woman who LOVES garlic). Eight cloves is just a bit much.

Also, I found the heat (spice) level to be just right, but I'm probably on the wimpier side of the heat tolerance continuum. If you like your food to make you sweat a little, you might consider upping the 1/2 teaspoon to a whole teaspoon.


Got any favorite vegetarian or vegan recipes?? Please share!

Other Meatless Monday posts

No comments: