Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I Love Words: Interrobang

Word: interrobang

Pronunciation:
\in-ˈter-ə-ˌbaŋ\

Function: noun

Etymology:
interrogation (point) + bang (printers' slang for exclamation point)

Date:
1967

Definition:
a punctuation mark (‽) designed for use especially at the end of an exclamatory rhetorical question

I found intterobang mentioned in an Editrix post last month and was intrigued to found out more about it. It allows for the messiness and reality of communication and doesn't demand you separate out the emotions but lets them coexist on the same plane. I've always found it to be the perfect punctuation for folks like myself who are often trying to say many things at once, trying to cram all the thoughts and emotions they can into a paragraph, a sentence, a clause (you know, something profound like "What the fuck‽"). And now I know what it's called. Thank you, interrobang. Thank you for being such an accommodating punctuation mark.

No comments: