Sunday, July 20, 2008

Musicals & Metamorphosis

Over the past week, like thousands of others, I have watched the 1st 3 episodes of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog online. (I say 1st 3 because I can only imagine, after the great success they're seeing with these episodes, that more will follow.) Despite myself, I got sucked right in. And I hate musicals! Ask anyone.

Dr. Horrible was created by the same person behind Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Joss Whedon, and stars Neil Patrick Harris (from Doogie Howser, M.D. & How I Met Your Mother fame), Felicia Day (also of Buffy) , and Nathan Fillion (of Desperate Housewives). In my opinion, Dr. Horrible has been a hit for the same reason HIMYM has been a hit - Harris is that good. He totally commits to a character and a moment and he can actually sing quite well. And, in Dr. Horrible, he isn't tasked with carrying the whole show; the writing is good and his co-stars can actually hold their own - which is more than I can say for HIMYM.

I don't know what this world is coming to - up is down, left is right, . . . Cheri has enjoyed something called a "Sing-Along" (!!) and has plans to attend a full-blown musical in the near future. What can I say? I read and enjoyed Wicked the book (the primary character of which [don't hate me for the play on words] is an angular-featured atheist with poor patience - how could I not feel an immediate connection with the material). Now I feel compelled to see what all the fuss has been about with the musical. Next thing you know, I'll be eating pork, attending NASCAR events, and living on the planet Htrae!

No comments: